Easter Basket Liner
How to Sew an Easy Gift Basket Liner
Easter basket liner. Do you have a gift basket that needs an Easter look?
Look no further! I have easy-to-follow instructions on sewing basket liner with bunny printed fabric making an old basket look new and fresh again.
Easter gift baskets are
pretty when lined with cheerful spring fabrics. Filled with homemade Easter cup cakes, children's treats or other delicious foods.
Having an Easter egg hunt for
the children? Why not line their small baskets with pretty fabric so they can fill them with chocolate treats.
Basket liners are easy to
put together and once you get the hang of it you can make any gift basket look great.
I like to make things that are easy like you do and I know this liner is one of those things.
How to Make an Easter Basket Liner
I apologize for the bad photos but I did my best. The last picture seams to be the best one.
On the right is a Easter basket liner I made. A really simple liner any body can make.
This basket is a cheap basket which I bought from a thrift store. It has a long handle with I through would be ideal for Easter egg hunts.
For this project I bought 1/2 a meter of fabric. This has Easter bunny-rabbit prints on it and 1 meter of mint green ribbon.
Things You Will Need:
- A basket. A small basket with a handle is good.
- Fabric. For my basket I needed half a meter.
- Thread. I used white thread but you can use matching thread if you prefer.
- Ribbon or other embellishments.
- Scissors. For cutting.
- Pins. For pinning.
- And a sewing machine but not essential as you can sew a Easter basket liner by hand.
Method for Sewing an Easter Basket Liner:
- I measured from the base of my basket, up the inside and down the outside to the bottom. That's one measurement plus 1 inch seam allowance.
- Then I measured from the outside from one handle to the other handle and again from one handle to the other and add 1 inch seam allowance on both measurements. (Two pieces of Fabric).
- Because my basket has handles I had to make a split in the fabric. So I measured from the inside of the basket to the rim where the handle starts. (That's where the right angle starts on the fabric).
- My basket has a slight angle to the sides so I measured the outside, around the bottom and the top of the rim. As you can see the bottom is smaller than the top.
- The angled fabric will go in the basket and the straight sided fabric will hang over the sides.
- You should have cut out 2 pieces of fabric to your measurements. Are you with me so far?? Great.
- The next step. I measured from the inside of my basket to where the handle starts. I pinned the two pieces, right sides of the fabric together and marked my measurements.
- I sewed from the bottom of my fabric to my measurement with 1/2 inch seam allowance. (12.7 cm) I did this for both sides.
- For the base of the Easter basket liner I measured across the inside base of my basket.
- I found a saucepan with the same measurement and drew around it and cut it out.
- I pinned the circle to the smallest opening on the other piece of material and pinned it then I machined sewed it with 1/4 inch seam allowance. (63 cm)
- Don't worry if one piece of fabric is slightly bigger that the other just fold a small piece here and there to make it fit. I does not have to be perfect.
- After I did that I placed my liner in the basket to see if it fits and it did.
- The next thing I did was to folded the piece of fabric that's hanging over the edge of the basket upwards and sew a 1/2 an inch, making a hem with open ends so I can thread my ribbon through. When the fabric hangs over the basket this will not be seen.
- And the last step of making my Easter basket liner was to put my liner into the basket.
- When finished it looks like the picture on the right.
Do You Sew Your Own Gift Basket Liners?
I would love to hear your stories, ideas or tips for making gift baskets. Go to my contact me page and share your ideas with me and others.
Top of Page
Things of Interest
How to Wrap Your Basket in Fabric
Ready-Made Cellophane Bags
How to Make Your own Shredded Tissue Paper
Lots of Easter Gift Basket Ideas
Cellophanes for Gift Baskets
Return From Easter Basket Liner to Homepage